- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of (baking) soda
- A pinch of salt - 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flax + 3 tablespoons water)
- 1 cup almond/soy milk (Or try our UFC Milk)
- 2 teaspoons Coconut Oil – melted
- 1/4 cup Coconut Sugar - 1/4 mango (optional)
For the filling:
- 4-5 medjool dates, soaked
- A pinch of salt
For the topping:
- 100g coyo (thick creamy vegan yogurt)
- 1 tablespoon Coconut Sugar
1. Make the flax egg – whisk the 1 tablespoon ground flax and 3 tablespoons water until you achieve a thick, gel-like consistency.
2. Combine the flax egg and milk (We used a food processor for this part; add in mango if desired!). Stir in the coconut oil.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the wholewheat flour, baking powder, bicarbonate and salt.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry, folding them together until combined. Stir in the coconut sugar.
5. Pour the mixture into 6 silicone (or paper) cupcake/muffin cases – they should be 2/3 full. Place in a pre-heated oven at 175 C | 350F for 15-20 minutes.
6. Take the cupcakes out of the oven and leave to cool for 20 minutes (removing them from the cases).
7. Once cool, use a melon scoop or teaspoon to scoop out the centre of each cake. Fill each with a teaspoon (or more if needed) of date caramel filling (instructions below)*. Place the piece of scooped cake back on top.
8. Spread the coyo-coconut sugar frosting* on top and enjoy!
*Filling – While the cupcakes are baking, make the date caramel filling. Soak the pitted dates in boiling water for at least 10 minutes. Take out of the water and begin to mash, slowly adding enough water back in and mixing until a caramel consistency is achieved. Mix in a pinch of salt.
*Topping – Mix the coconut sugar into the coyo and place back into the fridge until ready to use.
See more recipes here!