Taco Tuesdays? No, FAJITA FRIDAYS!
You guessed it, we’re bringing in another Mexican inspired recipe as part of our Coco de Mayo soirée and this one is not to be missed.
So get your knives out and let’s make some finger-licking (no, really, you’re meant to eat these using your hands and it might get a little messy 👀) ✨ BBQ JACKFRUIT FAJITAS! ✨ slow cooked to perfection with a homemade barbecue sauce AND topped with our coconut jalapeño dressing 🤤
Here’s what you need:
✨ for the bbq sauce ✨
🌿 1 can tinned tomatoes
🌿 1 1/2 tbsp tomato paste
🌿 3 tbsp Organic Coconut Vinegar
🌿 4 tbsp Organic Coconut Sugar
🌿 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce (we use the vegan version!)
🌿 1 tsp english mustard
🌿 1 1/2 tsp smoke paprika
🌿 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
✨ for the fajitas ✨
🌿 Tortilla wraps (feel free to choose your preferred kind! If gluten free, feel free to go for GF ones as this recipe is GF friendly!)
🌿 1 can black beans
🌿 1 tbsp Organic Coconut Oil
🌿 2 large peppers (we’ve used yellow and orange!)
🌿 2 medium tomatoes
🌿 1 large avocado
🌿 1 handful fresh parsley
🌿 1 tsp garlic powder
🌿 1 lime
🌿 Salt & pepper to taste
✨ for the coconut jalapeño dressing ✨
🌿 please check out our Vegan + Keto Coconut Jalapeño Dressing blog post for the full recipe! 🌿
- Start by making the BBQ sauce. Place all ingredients in a sauce pan and mix. Bring it to a boil over a medium-high-heat, then simmer for 5min over low-heat. Turn off the heat and allow to cool before transferring over.
- Once the sauce has cooled down, grab your jackfruit cans and rinse it in water. Repeat the process about 5 times (we need to make sure we get the jackfruit to taste as mild as possible at this stage, to really absorb all of the bbq flavour), let it dry.
- In the meantime, prepare your coconut jalapeño dressing (if you haven’t already). Leave it aside.
- Preheat a medium sauce pan over medium heat, add 2/3 of the coconut oil and let it melt. Once it does, add in the rinsed jackfruit. Add in garlic powder and stir until just before the jackfruit starts to stick to the pan (should be slightly golden). Add in the bbq sauce.
- Stir until the sauce is distributed all over and change it to low heat. Cover with a lid and let it cook for about 30min (make sure to stir every now and again).
- While that’s happening, rinse your black beans and chop the peppers and tomatoes into small cubes. Transfer the peppers to a frying pan with the remaining coconut oil and stir fry it till golden. Add the tomatoes and black beans in with some salt & pepper and stir it for an extra minute (at this point the peppers should look quite caramelised and the tomatoes should be slightly grilled). Set aside.
- Cut the avocado into thin slices, chop the fresh parsley. Leave that on the side. It is now time to prep the fajitas!
- Spread some of the coconut jalapeño dressing over the tortilla wraps, then add in desired quantity of the BBQ jackfruit. Top it with a little bit of the pepper/tomato/black bean mixture and add in a few slices of the avocado. Garnish it with some of the fresh parsley, squeezed lime juice and drizzle over some more of the coconut jalapeño dressing. Close the fajitas and serve! 🕺🏻