For the mincemeat:
- 30g Coconut Oil
- 40ml water
- 300g clementines
- 100g dried cranberries
- 60g chopped walnuts
- 25g Coconut Sugar
- 20g chopped crystallised ginger
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- 2 cloves
- 1-2 tablespoon gin (optional!)
For the pastries:
- 100g walnuts
- 1 tablespoon Coconut Flour
- 1 medium free-range egg
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 15g Coconut Oil, melted
- ¼ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder (optional)
- 2 drops stevia (optional)
Let’s get started!
For the mincemeat:
1. To begin, throw your chopped walnuts into a medium sized pan and lightly toast on a medium heat for approximately 10 minutes (or until they begin to change colour slightly!)
2. Whilst your walnuts are heating, grab a bowl and throw in the zest of one clementine.
3. Peel and chop the rest of your clementines and add them to the bowl!
4. Now, empty your bowl of clementine flesh and zest into the pan of walnuts along with all other ingredients, except the cranberries!
5. Next, remove the cloves, throw in your cranberries, and give it a good stir. Then pop the lid on and leave to simmer for 10 minutes!
6. Take your pot off the heat & stir in the gin (if you’ve chosen to include it!)
7. Once cooled, pop your festive mixture into vintage glass jars and store in the fridge until its mincemeat time!
For the pastries
1. Begin by blending all your ingredients in a food processor until you have a dough-like consistency. (If you have chosen to skip the stevia and cocoa powder, add some extra walnuts to make sure your mixture is well bound together! Alternatively, if you have opted for another sweetener, reduce the amount of walnuts – basically just aim for a pastry like dough!)
2. Remove the dough from your food processor and wrap it in clingfilm.
3. Next, pop your dough in the fridge for at least 30 minutes; this will make your dough less sticky and more workable.
4. Once your dough is nicely cooled, remove it from the fridge. Then take a small piece of dough (about the size of a walnut!), roll it into a ball and press into a hole in a muffin tray, ensuring it covers the entire hole!
5. Repeat to fill your muffin tray (approximately 10 small pastry pies!)
6. Bring in the mincemeat! Fill each pastry with your mincemeat mix and bake at 190 degrees Celsius (170 degrees Celsius for fan oven) for approximately 20 minutes, or until nicely cooked through!
7. Pair with ice cream & dig in!
See more recipes here!