For the brownies
- 1 1/4 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup natural cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup coconut sugarAdd to cart
- 110g coconut oilAdd to cart
- 110g dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp flax seed meal + 6 tbsp water)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1/2 cup almonds, roughly chopped For the caramel
Let’s get started!
1. We’ll start by making the caramel! Place your coconut sugar, coconut syrup and water in a saucepan over low/medium heat. Make sure you swirl the pan occasionally until the sugar is dissolved, and be careful to not let it burn.
2. Once fully caramelised, remove from the heat and whisk in the coconut milk and salt. If the sugar starts to harden, pop the caramel back onto a low heat to re-melt, then set it aside.
3. Next – the brownies! Preheat your oven to 180 C (356 F) and line a 20-centimeter square baking tin with greaseproof paper. 4. Sift together the cocoa powder, flour, and baking soda in a large bowl, and set aside.
5. Place the coconut oil and dark chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring until melted. Alternatively, feel free to use a microwave at 20 seconds each time, stirring in between.
6. Once fully melted, stir in your vanilla extract and raw sugar.
7. Add the almond milk and prepared flax eggs to the chocolate mixture, then add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture, mixing well until the batter is smooth and lump-free. It may be mostly solid and a bit stretchy, which is fine!
8. Spread half of the batter into the tin, smoothing out to the sides. Drizzle most of the caramel sauce over the batter, and spread the remaining batter on top. Top with chopped almonds.
9. Bake for 25-30 min – or until the edges are cooked and the centre is firm but still moist!
10. Drizzle the remaining caramel on top, and allow to cool fully before cutting into squares.
See more recipes here!