- 2 small onions
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon coriander, ground
- Half a teaspoon chilli flakes
- A cup of red lentils
- 5 cups of water
- A cup of desiccated coconutAdd to cart
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- A cup of sunflower seeds
1. Firstly, roughly chop your onion and sauté it with your coconut oil for about ten minutes. Meanwhile, give your lentils a good wash and drain thoroughly. Add the spices and keep it frying for a few minutes more.
2. Pop the lentils and water in with your spiced onions. Leave this to bubble away for about 15 minutes. Add in the coconut, then season with a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
3. Gently toast your sunflower seeds in a pan- this will only take a couple of minutes. This will give them a lovely nutty flavour. Watch out though, if you don’t keep a close eye they can burn pretty quickly!
4. And there you have it! Serve your dal into bowls and sprinkle some of the toasted sunflower seeds on top.
Wanting more? Take a look at our recipe collection!