Natural DIY Coconut Deodorant
Keep your underarms happy and odour-free with our DIY completely natural coconut deodorant!
Not convinced? Don’t worry, we were a little sceptical too, but it turns out shop-bought deodorants and antiperspirants could be exposing our precious bodies to some extremely destructive chemicals. In fact, most deodorants we use contain aluminium, a known neurotoxin (a substance that is poisonous or damaging to nerves or nerve tissue), as well as up to 20 other toxic ingredients. (http://bit.ly/1mYkNUM
) These harmful chemicals and synthetic preservatives have been linked to allergic reactions, Alzheimers, and even breast cancer in women. (http://bit.ly/1N7fVS1
) Plus, by clogging up our sweat glands to prevent us from sweating at all, antiperspirants could actually be interfering with one of our body’s best ways of detoxifying. One research study concluded, “Sweating deserves consideration for toxic element detoxification.” (http://bit.ly/1mVjohh
) Deodorants on the other hand, work by simply neutralising the smell of the sweat, instead of completely preventing it – better, but many are still packed with nasty ingredients. Luckily this completely natural deodorant will keep you fresh and odour free without exposing your precious body to any questionable substances! It may require a little more effort than grabbing a deodorant or antiperspirant in your local chemist, but the good news is it will last a whole lot longer and, most importantly; it will keep you naturally fresh!
What you’ll need:
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons shea butter
- 3 tablespoons baking soda
- 10-15 drops of essential oil (optional)
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot (optional)
- A small glass mason jar
Let’s get started:
1. Begin by melting your coconut oil and shea butter in a heatproof bowl over a simmering pot of water.
2. When melted, carefully remove your bowl from the pot and add in the baking soda and arrowroot then mix until well combined.
3. Now add in your favourite essential oils (if you opted to include them!).
4. Finally, transfer your mixture into a glass mason jar (or any container) ready for use. To apply, simply swipe two fingers into your sweet smelling mixture and gently run on your underarms! As with most deodorants, it’s best to wait a couple of minutes before dressing.
Time to enjoy fresh underarms with your homemade & healthy alternative to deodorants!
See more of the amazing benefits of coconuts here!