07 Dec Raw Cinnamon Caramel Apple Rolls
Christmas is coming and that means lots of unexpected visitors! Luckily, our wonderful contributing chef Rachel (@rawberryfields) has provided us with a scrumptious recipe that can be easily stored until those festive revellers come knocking! These tasty little swirls are oozing with a sweet date caramel filling and juicy apple pieces, making them completely irresistible and most importantly, completely healthy! The recipe requires no baking and only takes around 45 minutes so you’ll be enjoying these moreish treats in no time! Plus, these little bites are vegan, gluten free and filled with all the goodness of our coconut friends! How could you possibly resist? Lets get baking!
What you’ll need:
For the caramel apple filling- 1 apple (choose your favourite sweet variety)
- 10 pitted Medjool dates (approximately 200g)
- 2 tablespoons slightly warm water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons coconut syrupAdd to cart
- A pinch of pink Himalayan salt
For the raw dough- 2 tablespoons coconut syrupAdd to cart
- 7 pitted Medjool dates
- ¼ cup (40g) ground almonds
- ¾ cup (82g) pecans
- ¼ cup (42g) ground flaxseed
Let’s get started!
For the caramel Apple Filling
1. Peel your apple and cut out the core.
2. Pop your apple in a food processor and blend until it is chopped into small pieces. Then throw your chopped apple into a bowl, and set to the side.
3. Pit your dates and throw them into the food processor along with the coconut syrup, vanilla, salt, water and cinnamon. Combine together until you have a smooth, velvety caramel mix.
4. Grab a bowl and throw your chopped apple and caramel mix in together. Time to get your hands dirty- combine the two together by hand!
5. Set aside and begin on the dough.
1. Begin by blitzing your pecans, flaxseed and ground almonds in a food processor until your left with a powdery flour.
2. Next, throw in your dates and maple syrup, and combine together into a sticky dough.
3. Wet your hands slightly, and roll the raw dough into a ball in your hands.
4. Roll your dough ball flat between two pieces of greaseproof paper until it is very thin.
5. Using a knife, cut off the rough edges of the dough to make a near square or rectangle shape. Set your excess dough to the side to be rolled out in the same manner.
6. Grab your caramel apple filling and spread a nice thin layer over the top of your dough. (Not too thick!)
7. Now, cut your dough into long, thin strips and carefully roll each strip into small cylinders. Make sure you tuck the inside end in tightly!
8. Finally, harden your rolls in the freezer for around an hour then cut each roll into smaller, flatter bite sized goodies!
Tip: For added deliciousness store your tasty little bites in the freezer in an airtight container. They can be enjoyed straight from the freezer or, if you prefer, allow them to rest for a couple of minutes before digging in!
See more recipes here!