18 Jan Chocolate Covered Coconut Caramel Patties
As nice as it would be to stick to our New Years resolutions, sometimes it’s just too hard, sometimes a little treat is absolutely necessary. So we figured if you’re going to momentarily cave, you may as well do it properly with these scrumptious and extremely chocolatey Coconut Caramel Patties from our lovely contributing chef Rachel (@rawberryfields). The good news is Rachel has ingeniously swapped all the usual ingredients for healthier alternatives (like our beloved coconut friends!), meaning we don’t need to feel quite as guilty! The recipe will make enough for ten people to enjoy- so why not spread the coconut love and share these sweet treats with your family, friends or work mates this January!
What you’ll need:
For the Coconut Cream Pattie layer:- 3-4 tablespoons coconut syrupAdd to cart
- 1½ cups (150g) unsweetened desiccated coconutAdd to cart
- 150g coconut cream
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut oil (or coconut butter), meltedAdd to cart
For the Date Caramel layer:- 1 cup (approximately 200g) Medjool dates (ideally these should be soaked for an hour before)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, meltedAdd to cart
- 1-2 tablespoons warm water
- 2-3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 60g almond butter
Raw Chocolate Layer:- 160g liquid cacao butter
- 10-11 tablespoons cacao powder
- 6 tablespoons maple syrup (or just enough to satisfy your sweet tooth!)
- Coconut snack chips (to decorate!)Add to cart
Let’s get started!
Coconut Cream Pattie Layer:
1. Begin by combining your desiccated coconut, coconut syrup and coconut cream in a large bowl.
2. Next, add your melted coconut oil and mix well until you have a sticky mixture.
3. Now, roll the mixture into 10 evenly sized balls and place them on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper.
4. Time to make your balls into patties! Using the palm of your hand flatten each ball, and mould into cookie shapes, making sure the surfaces and edges are nice & smooth!
5. Pop your baking tray in the freezer and move onto the date caramel layer.
Date Caramel Layer
1.Throw all your ingredients, except the water, in a food processor and blitz until you’re left with a sticky paste.
2. Next, add 1 tablespoon of water to the food processor and blitz again. (Add one more tablespoon if necessary!)
3. When satisfied with your caramel mix, plop 1 generous tablespoon in the middle of each coconut pattie then flatten and smooth the caramel mixture over each pattie. (Tip: Dip your fingers in a bowl of lukewarm water and shake off any excess drips before beginning, this will make it easier to smooth the caramel).
4. Pop your baking tray back in the freezer whilst you prepare the raw chocolate layer!
Raw Chocolate Layer
1. Begin by combining your cacao powder and cacao butter into a smooth, creamy mix.
2. Next, stir in your maple syrup, making sure your mixture is nicely combined.
3. Time for your masterpiece to come together! Remove your baking tray from the freezer and carefully coat each pattie in your chocolate mixture.
4. Decorate by popping some coconut snack chips on top of each pattie and drizzle the remainder of the chocolate over your tray!
5. Finally, place your goodies back in the freezer for a further 10 minutes before digging in! (If you manage to resist eating all your delicious creations at once, they can be stored in an airtight container in your fridge for a week!)
See more recipes here!